Financial Beginnings USA (FBUSA) is a national nonprofit that teaches individuals how to play an active role in their financial well-being. Developing this knowledge increases life opportunities such as home ownership, higher education, and secure retirement, while contributing to the economic resiliency of individuals, families, and our shared communities.
The Financial Beginnings mission is to empower youth and adults to take control of their financial futures. FBUSA fulfills this mission through its affiliate model, extending programming to more communities via local, on-the-ground teams. These statewide affiliate teams, along with their volunteer networks, deliver FBUSA financial education programming that is continually tested, revised, and improved to ensure mission alignment and participant impact. Currently, two affiliates are well-established in Oregon and Washington; two new chapter offices opened in California and Nebraska last year. FBUSA maintains shared program and operation protocols that increase efficiency and effectiveness, ensuring each affiliate can dedicate the greatest number of resources to serving their local community.
Reporting to the Chief Advancement Officer (CAO), and working closely with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Chief Operating Officer (COO), and Marketing Manager, the Strategic Partnership Director will manage FBUSA's fundraising efforts and oversee the coordination with affiliates on their fundraising requests. Historically, the majority of FBUSA's income has been derived from corporate sponsorships and foundation giving. Since expanding nationally in 2017, FBUSA's fundraising model has shifted to a larger percentage of earned income from the affiliate model. The more successful the affiliates are in fundraising, the more successful FBUSA is in expanding its mission nationally.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone who is looking to join at the beginning of our national expansion. The ideal candidate should be a detail-orientated, mission-driven development professional who is looking to deepen their expertise and grow with us.
- Develop a diversified fundraising plan and manage a tracking system that can be replicated in new markets.
- Work closely with other FBUSA team members and affiliates to ensure fundraising efforts reflect organizational needs.
- Identify potential donors and sponsors, both nationally and in developing affiliate markets.
- Develop and steward funding relationships.
- Support the CEO, COO, and CAO in communicating with current and potential donors and sponsors.
- Prepare fundraising reports.
- Manage the fundraising approval process for affiliates seeking funding outside of the parameters outlined in the affiliate agreement.
- Assist CAO in training affiliate's development staff in fundraising best practices as it relates to Financial Beginnings' model
- Work with the Marketing Manager to produce collateral to assist in fundraising efforts.
Other General Responsibilities
- Familiarize oneself with the organization, its affiliates, and the Employee Handbook.
- Get to know fellow staff members, developing trust, establishing credibility, encouraging collaboration, and creating a tone of open, honest, two-way communication.
- Keep up to date on financial and personal finance education trends and share with the team.
- Communicate and collaborate seamlessly in both face-to-face and digital (online) interactions.
Skills, Education, and Qualifications
- 3-5 years of experience working in business development, with an emphasis on corporate sponsorship and database management.
- Eager to expand the organization with new partners, sponsors, and territories.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully raise funds from businesses and foundations.
- Confidence working with best-practice development strategies: prospect research, solicitation strategies, cultivation, and stewardship.
- Comfortable in both a leadership and team-player role.
- Creative problem solver who thrives when presented with a challenge.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Goal and detail oriented.
- Self-motivated and willing to work independently.
- Professional, engaging attitude and ability to work on multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Ability to thrive and adapt to a changing environment.
- Proficient computer skills: Microsoft Office, G Suite, Box, Adobe Acrobat Pro.
Special Requirements and Preferences
- A positive and collegial attitude.
- Ability to incorporate project feedback and meet or exceed expectations.
- Ability to identify and pursue relevant projects and tasks without explicit direction.
- Comfortable collaborating online and/or working remotely.
- Understanding of personal finance fundamentals preferred, but not required.
- Recognition of education's value and passion for improving communities and serving populations in need.
- Service and support oriented, actively looking for ways to help others.
Status and Compensation
- Compensation: $60,000-$70,000 depending on experience
- Bonus based on meeting fundraising targets
- Full-time: Exempt
- Location: USA
- Schedule: Monday through Friday, occasional need for event and/or weekend meetings or events.
- Travel: Minimal travel required if located in Portland
- Physical strength: Light
- PTO: 27 days, which includes all personal, vacation, holiday, and sick time
- Computer allotment.
- Retirement savings: 6% employer matched 401(k)
- Insurance: 100% paid health and dental for employee
Due to COVID-19, Financial Beginnings staff and teams currently work 100% remotely. When conditions permit, employees will return to pre-COVID working arrangements, wherein certain staff will be required to work in the Financial Beginnings office for a predetermined portion of the work week. This requirement applies to Financial Beginnings USA staff that reside in the Portland, OR metro area.
How to Apply
Complete the screening questions and upload your cover letter and resume as a PDF (no other file format will be accepted). Only complete applications will be reviewed. Demonstration of requisite skills of the position may be asked of finalist candidates.
Review of applications is currently underway.
Financial Beginnings USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.